5-day kayak week for beginners on the Salza river in Austria.
- Kids 12 to 16 years: 330,-
- Length: 5 days
The full course for sporty beginners. In this course we have enough time to learn all basic techniques.
Our kayakweek offers the full course programm for motiviated beginners. We will learn all basic techniques in this course. We paddle many diffenent sections, do a video analysis, and much more.
- Familiarize with material
- Proper entering and exiting the kayak
- How to exit the boat
- Basic paddle techniques (paddle strokes, bracing techniques)
- Basics of River Science and Flow Theory
- River running techniques (taking eddies, ferry gliding)
- Estimating danger spots on the river, whitewater tactics
- Safety on the river (rescue techniques)
- Proper edge of the boat, take advantage of currents (e.g. “S” ride)
- video analysis
- basic eskimo roll training (on demand)
- Learning all the important basic techniques
- Paddling easy river sections (WW 1-2)
- On demand we can learn basic techniques for esimo roll training
- Basic safety training
- Minimum age 12 years (only possible on request or private course)
- average – good fitness level
- If your weight is above 120kg or you are above 1,95 tall please inform us before. Our biggest boat is for a maximum of 130kg. It will depend on height, length of legs,…
- Course hours daily from 09:30 to approx. 16:30
- Starting point and end point of the course is always the AOS Basecamp Salza (changing and shower facilities on site, drinks, beer garden etc.)
- Lunch break daily at the river or in the camp (depending on the route)
- Choice of route depending on the conditions and requirements of the group.
The meeting point and starting point for the course is our Basecamp Salza in Styria. After being welcomed by your kayak instructor, he/she will explain the exact daily routine and the upcoming course program before equipping you with the appropriate equipment in the camp.
As with any kayak beginner course, we start here on the first day on calm waters (Salza reservoir or bathing lake) and show you the correct handling of the material, the safe getting out of the boat and the first paddle techniques. The goal is to get some confidence and control in the kayak before we head on the first river whitewater section.
Kayak course on the longest natural whitewater section of Austria
In the next step we will head to a beginners friendly section of the Salza, where we will take our first steps on the river. The section is easy and offers perfect spots to practice our basic techniques like eddies, taking ferries and steering the kayak. The Salza is with over 50 kilometers of undamed river the longest natural whitewater section in Austria and offers a big variety of different sections for our courses.
Day after day we will choose another section of the river. If the water levels are right, we sometimes also paddle a section on the Enns river. The enns has a completely different river character.
We will also use a video to analyse our progress. That way everyone can work on the individuall skill level.
Kids 12 to 16 years : 330,–/Person
Payment on site in cash or by card, or by online payment. Pre-payment is also possible.
- 5-day kayak course
- State-certified kayak instructor
- all equipment: wetsuit, jacket, shoes, life jacket, helmet, paddle, white water kayak, spray jacket, spray blanket
- Transport from Outdoorcamp Salza (it may happen that we need a vehicle of the participants to transfer the bus)
- Swimwear (swimming trunks, swimsuit, bikini)
- Towel and shower accessoires
- Lunch There is a minimarket near the base.
Food is not included in the price.
During the course we will make lunch breaks. The lunch can be given to the instructor before the course. There is a small minimarket next to the base, as well as supermarket 5 minutes by car. On holidays and weekends we recommend to bring lunch with you.
Good restaurants are nearby.
Meeting point and starting point for the courses:
AOS Basecamp Salza
Please arrive on time!
Dates & Availability
Course dates can be found in our calendar. The first day of the course is marked and bookable in the calendar. The courses take place from a minimum of 4 people. If your desired date is no longer available in the online plan, or if you want to make an individual appointment, please contact us by e-mail.
Does the course take place in all weathers?
Courses usually take place at all weather conditions You get warm neoprene equipment from us. If courses can not be held for safety reasons, we will notify you in advance (extreme storms, floods, unacceptable conditions). Rain showers are not a reason for cancellation.
Minimum number of participants
All courses require a certain minimum number of participants. These are usually 4 people. Please simply ask by e-mail or phone. Of course, you can also participate as individuals in all tours.
How many participants are at most with a course?
In the kayaking courses, a kayak instructor supervises a maximum of 8 people per group. Be aware though, that two or more parallel courses may cross paths every now and then on busier days of the season.
Showers & changing facilities
In our camp you will find modernly furnished and heated shower and changing facilities with toilets.
The safety of our guests is our top priority. We use modern and well-maintained safety equipment for all kayaking courses. Our kayak instructors are certified and trained for all courses and regularly participate in mandatory and voluntary internal training courses.
For the lunch break during the course we recommend a snack or snacks. On weekends or public holidays it is best to bring something for lunch in advance, otherwise they can also be purchased at a supermarket around the corner. In our Basecamp Salza you can order snacks such as pizza etc. There are good restaurants around the Basecamp. We are welcome to make recommendations in advance or on site.
Transfer & Parking
The transfers for the kayaking courses are carried out by us. We also have a small fleet of minibuses and a 50-seater large bus. In the course, we may sometimes need a private car from a participant to transfer the bus.
Free parking at base camp is of course available.
Reasons for exclusion & price cancellation
The respective requirements (minimum age, etc.) can be found in the course description. Our kayak instructors reserve the right to exclude participants from the course who do not meet these requirements or who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
If the course is cancelled early (illness, injury, cancellation by the organiser), the already paid course days can be credited and made up. Repayments are not possible.